Friday, August 7, 2009

Days 10, 11 & 12: It's Friday!

Hi! Sorry for my lack of posting, this whole fieldwork things is remarkably time consuming. And a lot of work! I love it, but I can't remember being this excited that the week is over. For the last three days we've been out at the field, excavating our way through some pretty awesome ruins. After sorting that entire pile of rocks and lithics (those are stones used as or in the production of tools) I have a pretty great handle on lithics in general and I think they're kind of fascinating. I found a bunch of tools that are rare or unique to our site that hopefully will help us to figure out what exactly the Maya were up to there.

The last two days I have been working at a unit that's excavating structure A6, which is the long building on the west end of the plaza. Right now our main goal is to find and expose architecture, and from there we can hopefully understand things like what the building was used for, and maybe even establish a better timeframe estimate for the site in general. I really like our unit so far, and we've been finding a lot of great stuff. Again, I'm not allowed to go into detail online, but it's cool! Today actually we were briefly REALLY excited because one of the staff members, Raf, snuck a bone into one of our buckets to be sifted (which would mean a burial and be sooooo cool!) which was pretty genius.

This weekend we're all headed to Lamanai, a Maya site north of us, and I'm really excited! Apparently, part of the trip getting there requires a boat. Sweet!

Love you,
Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment