Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 19: Xunantunich!

Our long weekend (a tradition on Belizean projects) started today! To celebrate, Sam (one of the profs) took us to the relatively nearby site of Xunantunich (shoo-nan-tu-nich, or Stone Maiden) where he did his dissertation work. We rode there in true Belizean style, in the back of pickup trucks! It was definitely my favorite site we have visited so far. We got a lot of free time to explore before we met Sam on top of the high temple for a visual tour of the site.

Here's Zena in the main plaza (I really like this picture cuz it looks like she's standing on the bottom edge of the photo)
We took roomie pictures in this ancient Maya stone bed. Marisa and Melody share the other bed in our cabin:

Here's the high temple:

And here's the view FROM it!

Another shot from the high temple, except look, it's Guatemala! The site is about 3 or 400 meters east of the Guatemalan border.

Speaking of Guatemala, a group of us are going there for the long weekend starting tomorrow!!! I'm so excited! We're headed to Tikal, and then we'll hang out in the island town of Flores. I won't be able to update while I'm there but I promise pictures when we get back. I'm so excited!

Love you,
Elise

Oh! And PS we did actually work this week. See? Here's proof:

No comments:

Post a Comment