Monday, July 20, 2009

Day -5: Did you know...?

I'm dying of excitement over here, so I thought I'd bust out a couple fun facts about Belize to pass the time.

Did you know that Belize gained its independence from Great Britain in 1981? That's right, the country is only six years older than I am! Before independence it was known as British Honduras. Also, this means that English is actually the official language, although Spanish and Kriol are also recognized. According to my Professor, most Belizians speak both Spanish and English.

Did you know that Belize is very prone to hurricanes? And that I'm going during hurricane season? But don't worry, it'll be fun! And wet. The area I'm going to gets 4-5 meters of rain a year. That's right, METERS.

Did you know that Belize has historically been very popular with Mayanists because it is the most politically stable country in the Mayan area? Their other options are southern Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala.

Ok, that's all I've got for right now. I'm leaving LA today to head north, so I'm almost all packed. Exciting!

Love,
Elise

2 comments: