Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day -4: The Dig Kit

As is to be expected from any trip involving archaeology, I have a fairly extensive list of tools and gear to pack, and as of today (thanks to a quick shopping trip with Mom) it finally looks like my 'dig kit' is coming together. Yay! What is in a dig kit, you ask? Allow me to elaborate...

Firstly, there are no shovels in a dig kit. We do bring something called a trowel, but as my professors have emphatically pointed out, this has absolutely nothing to do with gardening. Instead, our trowels, which can be purchased at the hardware store as "pointer's trowels" are flat metal triangles with a raised wooden handle. Updates on what exactly one uses it for will come as soon as I find out. We have also been told to bring standard surveying equipment, like a line level, a compass, a metric measuring tape, and flagging tape. Flagging tape, by the way, is not at all sticky--but it does come in fun, obnoxiously bright colors! I've also got tools for recording information, like mechanical pencils, sharpies, and an (hopefully) indestructible notebook of metric graph paper. And what dig kit would be complete without brushes?

My departure is fast approaching! I'm back in the Bay Area until I leave on Saturday. As I write, in fact, I am doing a test run of my boots. I can't wait!

Love,
Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment