Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 2: Welcome to the Midas Resort!

We're still in orientation mode so I haven’t even been to our dig site yet, but trust you me, we are in the jungle. I was talking with a friend about how walking to our cabins feels like being in an extended version of being in line for the Indiana Jones ride. There’s the same constant, ubiquitous bug drone that the ride does so well (sorry to use Disney as a reference twice in two days, but they do a pretty amazing job at recreating this! Who knew?) plus all of the other bird and animal noises. We’re even pretty sure we heard a monkey last night, but no sightings as of yet.

The Midas is actually a cluster of buildings, with no two the same. The front building features an office, kitchen, and back patio that serves as a great common area. In addition, there is a new building up front that’s still under construction but some of our project are staying in the more complete rooms (I say more complete because they’re definitely not finished—still missing things like doors…). Behind that is meandering walkway that winds among about ten or fifteen small cabin-type buildings that are also rooms. To get to them you walk through a ton of different trees that are actually labeled so I know that they include avocado, banana, and custard apple trees. I totally plan to grab some avocados when they ripen.

Here is my cabana, complete with a front porch and a hammock! I share it with three other girls, so it’s cozy, but fun. We have our own bathroom, with a shower, which is nice. The best part though is that this entire cabin is decidedly on a slant—you notice as soon as you walk in. It’s funny because I actually feel a bit like I’m on a boat sometimes. Occasionally, or in the morning, I forget there’s a slant and stumble around like an idiot, but its fun. Actually, you’d be surprised how many things a little bit of a slant can affect.


Inside are two beds, tables, chairs, and a nightstand. We also have a totally nonfunctional TV and a lamp. AND we totally lucked out because we are one of like three rooms with an air conditioner! Hooray! We run it constantly.

I found my camera after some serious searching (yay!) so expect more pictures. I can’t wait to start digging!

Love you!
Elise

1 comment:

  1. This looks so exciting! I am really jealous that you get to do this. Your room sounds way nicer than I expected it to be. What are cabana-mates names?

    ReplyDelete